Phinizy Center for Water Sciences is seeking an individual who is passionate about our mission to “provide leadership for sustainable watersheds and economic vitality through research, education and by connecting people with nature.” If you are an environmental educator who seeks to inform knowledge about water resources, and infuse water science into environmental education, we invite you to apply to join the Phinizy team as a full-time environmental educator in the position of Assistant Education Director. Desired starting date May 2018.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Education Director, serves to manage the Phinizy Education Team to deliver programs including school field trips, homeschool and summer camp programs.
- Responsibilities include workload planning, scheduling and assuring high quality of program delivery.
- Serves as the Phinizy Summer Camp Director.
- Leads and or assists with school field trip or program delivery as required.
- Assists the Education Director with the development of education programs and resources.
- Assists with off-site education and outreach events, including after-hours events.
- Assists with Phinizy nature park events or citizen science activities as needed.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Team Leadership Skills: Within a team set personal high performance and quality standards and enable the team to be successful. View all members of the team as critical and important and treat team members with respect and professionalism.
• Demonstrated skills in leading, training and supervising educators or volunteers in environmental education programs.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to express and exchange ideas.
• Enthusiasm for working with students of all ages and for working outdoors in natural habitat in all, safe weather conditions.
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, and city departments, supervisors, lab personnel, operations staff, vendors, government agencies and the public, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities and disabilities.
• Knowledge of standard office practices and basic computer skills, and ability to apply such knowledge of interrelated processes, tasks and operations.
• Strong customer service ethic in delivery of services.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, environmental education or related science degree
- Three years experience in the delivery of environmental education in settings such as nature parks, governmental or nonprofit organizations
- Teaching credentials or education certification desired but not essential
- Experience with STEAM education desired but not essential.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
The employee must meet these requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation, to succeed in this position.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to at least 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions.
- Must be able to work effectively in inclement weather, including hot, cold, rain and fog conditions and walking over rugged terrain
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $32,000 and based on qualifications Phinizy Center offers leave, health and retirement benefits
Applications for this position must be emailed (only) no later than April 8, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions should include, at minimum: a resume; three professional references; and a cover letter, no longer than 3 pages, addressing how you meet the position qualifications and why you want to work at Phinizy (phinizycenter.org). All materials should be submitted in PDF format as attachments to your application email. No surface mail, please–electronic submissions only. Your submission will be acknowledged by email within two business days of receipt.
A limited number of applicants may be interviewed by telephone; a smaller number in person. Funds are allocated for interview travel costs, but not for moving/relocation costs. All applications are confidential until the applicant releases Phinizy Center to check with references.
Phinizy Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or age.