Phinizy Park Caretaker
The Phinizy Center was founded in 1996 to promote environmental stewardship through education, research and public outreach. The Phinizy Center’s goal is to promote natural resource conservation, sustainable development and economic growth. The Phinizy Center Campus and Swamp Nature Park are located on 1,100 acres off Lock and Dam Road.
A valuable member of the Phinizy Center team is the Park Caretaker. The Caretaker provides an onsite presence and is the principal contact for safety, security and maintenance of public spaces and trails. In exchange for these services, the Park Caretaker is provided a three (3) bedroom residence on park property. The Park Caretaker reports to the Director of Operations.
- Lock and unlock gate at designated open and close times. Caretaker should make sure all visitors are out of the park before locking the gate. In event of caretaker’s absence, arrange with appropriate staff member or ESG to perform gate duties.
- Assist in general nature park cleanliness and beautification by taking the following actions:
- Empty trash receptacles as needed, but at least Monday and Friday
- Empty trash receptacles at picnic pavilion on all field trip days and days of high park use
- Empty trash receptacles on the outskirts of the park on a weekly basis
- Pick up litter from along the trails, park entrance, parking areas, decks and boardwalks, campus, and attempt to clean litter from creek/swamp at least weekly
- Prefer a candidate that can perform light maintenance and/or schedule regular maintenance of golf cart and lawn equipment.
- Report any park or grounds maintenance issues to the Director of Operations.
- Check all public restrooms daily. Ensure paper goods are stocked and the facility is tidy. Check restrooms at park closing time and turn out lights. On nights when freezing temperatures are expected, close the windows and turn on the heaters.
- Ensure an ample supply of nature park literature is available at designated boxes at all times, to include brochures, trail maps, and trail guides. Keep administration advised of need for additional materials.
- Monitor park activities to ensure no unauthorized activities are occurring (consumption of alcoholic beverages, after-hours entry, vandalism, hunting, fishing, dumping, etc.) Call 911 for any suspicious or criminal activity.
- Serve as the first contact for security in the event of an activated alarm in any campus building.
- Maintain the caretaker house and surrounding property.
- Contact animal control when appropriate to remove feral and/or abandoned animals.
- Assist other staff members as needed, presenting a professional image as a representative of the Phinizy Center.
- Report park conditions after severe weather for danger such as downed power lines and trees on trails to the Director of Operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: high school diploma, trade school, or equivalent level of education
- Experience: 3-5 years in similar position or sufficient experience to perform principal duties and responsibilities.
- Good communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to deal with the public.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Submit to background check.
- Three references (including landlord/rental).
Standing, stooping, bending, crouching, walking, lifting of light and heavy (less than 50 pounds) objects, climbing ladders, etc. Work is performed in buildings and outdoors with exposure to cold or inclement weather, dust, dirt, grease, noise.
The caretaker is required to be domiciled on the nature park property in the house provided for that purpose by Phinizy Center. The house should be the caretaker’s principal residence. The caretaker will be required to sign a lease for occupancy and will be expected to abide by the published rules of the house. At such time as the caretaker vacates his/her position, he/she must immediately vacate the residence.
The statements contained herein reflect general details necessary to describe the principle functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibilities, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned.
All applicants submit a letter of interest with completed application electronically to email@example.com by November 9th, 2018. You may also mail in the application and letter to 1858 Lock and Dam Rd. Augusta, GA 30906 by November 9th, 2018.