Current Open Positions:
Director of Research
DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH
The Phinizy Center for Water Sciences located in Augusta Georgia is a private non-profit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1996 to promote environmental stewardship through education, research, and public outreach. The Center is searching for a Director of Research who will ensure ongoing excellence and develop new opportunities in its freshwater science initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Director of Research is tasked with strategic and operational responsibility for the Center’s research programs and staff.
· The Director will function as a team leader: planning, coordinating, and administering contracted research projects.
· The Director must have the expertise and ability to participate in fieldwork, data collection, scientific analysis, budget tracking, and report writing.
· The Director will manage the current inventory of projects.
· The Director will also be responsible for obtaining new contracts and grants related to freshwater science and perform as a principal or co-principal investigator as needed.
· The Director shall have the ability to effectively communicate through verbal and written methods with co-workers, board members, vendors, government agencies, and the public.
· As a member of the senior management team, the Director reports to the Phinizy Center Executive Director.
The Director must fulfill one of the following:
· PhD in biology, chemistry, environmental science, or a related field with five years of experience in project management.
· Master of Science in biology, chemistry, environmental science, or a related field with seven years of experience in project management.
· Bachelor of Science in biology, chemistry, environmental science, or a related field with ten years of relevant experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands: The employee must meet these requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation, to succeed in this position.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
· While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions.
· Must be able to work effectively walking over rugged terrain and in inclement weather, including hot, cold, rain, and fog conditions
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary: competitive based on qualifications and experience.
Phinizy Center offers leave, health, and retirement benefits.
Applications for this position should be electronically transmitted no later than December 15, 2020 to email@example.com. Submissions should include a resume, three professional references, and a cover letter. All materials shall be submitted in PDF format as attachments to your application email. Applications will be acknowledged by email within two business days of receipt.
The Phinizy Center for Water Sciences is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and age, status as a protected veteran, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
RESEARCH INTERNSHIP (UNPAID)
Reports to: Research Director
Position type: Part-time, Seasonal (January – May)
Hours: Minimum 8-16 hours per week between the hours of 9am-5pm M-F
Deadline: January 1st
Min. Education Required: Junior or Senior undergraduate or graduate in Chemistry, Biology, Ecology, or a related field
Looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic student wishing to gain experience with water quality, chemistry, and ecology. Work involves executing projects to help support supervisors. Ideal candidates would conduct water quality chemistry sampling in the field and in the laboratory, assist with macroinvertebrate identification, and assist in day to day lab operations.
- Obtain experience with field sampling methods and laboratory procedures
- Learn techniques for macroinvertebrate collection and identification
- Gain experience with analytical chemistry and water quality analysis
- Assist with rapid geomorphological assessments
- Assist with urban watershed water quality monitoring
- Hands-on experience with long term continuous monitoring on the Savannah River
- Learn to communicate verbally and in writing with other team members in a scientific manner
- Junior or Senior undergraduate or graduate in Chemistry/Biology/Ecology/Related field
- Strong interest in field and laboratory research
- Must be able to work a minimum of 8-16 hours a week Monday-Friday for 9-12 weeks
- Must have a current valid driver’s license or valid form of ID
- Demonstrate work ethic and have the ability to foster teamwork
- Task-oriented, an appreciation for native habitats, and be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Knowledge of standard office practices and basic computer skills, and ability to apply such knowledge of interrelated processes, tasks, and operations
- Be punctual and demonstrate good time management skills
Send Cover Letter, Resume, and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org