Current Open Positions:
Camp Counselor/Environmental Educator
Director of Operations
CAMP COUNSELOR / ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATOR
Reports to: Camp Director
Position type: Seasonal, Full-time
Hours: 40 hours per week June 7-July 2 typically between the hours of 9am-5pm M-F, and about 20 hours the week of May 31 for set-up/training and July 5 for clean up
Compensation: $11 per hour
Closing Date: May 3, 2021 or when position fills
The Camp Counselor job duties include the following:
- Leads and assists with all necessary tasks associated with Phinizy Center’s Swamp Explorers Summer Camp
- Leads, motivates, and ensures the safety of campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities
- Attends camp training to become competent in tasks and activities they will be responsible for during camp
- Assists with set-up and clean-up of summer camp
- Works with Camp Director to train & coordinate summer camp volunteers
- Leads or assists with before and after care as needed
- Works with other camp staff members to plan and coordinate camp events/ activities.
- Monitors campers to ensure compliance with camp rules and prevents accidents.
- Cleans, maintains, and ensures proper use of camp/education facilities and equipment.
- Reports and records details of incidents, such as accidents or rule violations, to camp director
- Follows all emergency procedures and enforces camp rules
- Other tasks as needed
DESIRABLE JOB PREREQUISITES:
- A degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Education, Education, or other related field or high school graduate pursuing a degree in one of these fields
- Experience working with children
- Environmental education and/or camp counseling experience
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to work well in a team setting and set personal high performance and quality standards, which enable the team to be successful.
- Takes initiative and has a high level of responsibility and accountability.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, supervisors, the public, and all other customers, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities, and disabilities.
- Upbeat and engaging with strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to work with and manage students of all ages.
- Punctual with good time management skills.
- An appreciation for and understanding of natural habitats and systems. Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physical ability to participate in activities, run, climb, lift, or support the weight of children.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- First aid and CPR/AED certified. (You can complete this training any time before camp starts.)
To Apply: Send Cover Letter, Resume, and 3 References to: Camilla.Sherman@phinizycenter.org
For questions, you may also call Camilla at 706-396-1413
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
The Phinizy Center for Water Sciences (PCWS) located in Augusta, Georgia is a private not for profit 501 (c) (3) organization founded in 1996 to promote environmental stewardship through education, research, and public outreach. The Center is searching for a Director of Operations (DO) who will sustain ongoing programmatic excellence and develop new opportunities for education, science, and outreach.
The Director of Operations is tasked with the strategic and operational responsibility and accountability for PCWS operations and staff. The DO will function as the senior manager on the PCWS leadership team overseeing planning, operations, and coordinating the various activities and initiatives of PCWS. As senior manager, the DO is the Center’s principal liaison and reports to the Board of Directors. In addition to managing, the Center’s administrative, programmatic areas and finances the DO must possess effective oral and written communication skills to interact with staff, the Board of Directors, vendors, stakeholders, government agencies, and the general public.
The DO is responsible for strategic and day-to-day execution of administrative operations, budget, resource acquisition, philanthropy, campus and nature park infrastructure, and marketing in accordance with PCWS policies and operational procedures. As senior manager, the DO is the primary representative to build relationships with the community, external stakeholders, and partners.
Qualified applicants will possess a minimum Bachelor’s degree. In addition to education, applicants should present a record of accomplishment of progressive administrative leadership and management experience. The Phinizy Center for Water Sciences offers a competitive salary and benefits based on qualifications and experience.
Applications for this position should be electronically transmitted in a PDF format no later than April 15, 2021 to email@example.com Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and three references. Submissions will be acknowledged via email within two business days of receipt.
The Phinizy Center for Water Sciences is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
RESEARCH INTERNSHIP (UNPAID)
Reports to: Research Director
Position type: Part-time, Seasonal (May – August)
Hours: Minimum 8-16 hours per week between the hours of 9am-5pm M-F
Deadline: May 1st
Min. Education Required: Junior or Senior undergraduate or graduate in Chemistry, Biology, Ecology, or a related field
Looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic student wishing to gain experience with water quality, chemistry, and ecology. Work involves executing projects to help support supervisors. Ideal candidates would conduct water quality chemistry sampling in the field and in the laboratory, assist with macroinvertebrate identification, and assist in day to day lab operations.
- Obtain experience with field sampling methods and laboratory procedures
- Learn techniques for macroinvertebrate collection and identification
- Gain experience with analytical chemistry and water quality analysis
- Assist with rapid geomorphological assessments
- Assist with urban watershed water quality monitoring
- Hands-on experience with long term continuous monitoring on the Savannah River
- Learn to communicate verbally and in writing with other team members in a scientific manner
- Junior or Senior undergraduate or graduate in Chemistry/Biology/Ecology/Related field
- Strong interest in field and laboratory research
- Must be able to work a minimum of 8-16 hours a week Monday-Friday for 9-12 weeks
- Must have a current valid driver’s license or valid form of ID
- Demonstrate work ethic and have the ability to foster teamwork
- Task-oriented, an appreciation for native habitats, and be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Knowledge of standard office practices and basic computer skills, and ability to apply such knowledge of interrelated processes, tasks, and operations
- Be punctual and demonstrate good time management skills
Send Cover Letter, Resume, and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org