Phinizy Center operates a Water Quality Lab capable of testing both wastewater and drinking water. Our Lab Supervisor is a Georgia state-certified Wastewater and Drinking Water Laboratory Analyst, overseeing that all testing follows national protocol with rigorous quality assurance and quality control.
In addition to water quality analysis, the lab offers macroinvertebrate & microscopic organism identification through our Society for Freshwater Science-certified macroinvertebrate taxonomist.
We regularly provide field assistance and technical support to our partners, including stream assessments, wetland plant identification, and science communication to local communities. Providing these services to public entities and the community along the Savannah River basin furthers our mission of environmental stewardship through research and education.
Our lab is capable of performing the following tests:
Lab Water Testing (select analyses)
- Ammonia nitrogen (NH3)
- Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), 5 day
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD)
- Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)
- Dissolved Organic Uptake Rate (DOUR)
- E. coli quantification
- Fecal coliform quantification
- Laboratory pH
- Nitrate + Nitrite (NOx)
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen (TKN)
- Total Nitrogen (TN)
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC)
- Total Phosphorus (TP)
- Total Suspended Solids (TSS)
- Volatile Solids (VS) and Fixed Solids (FS)
- Dissolved oxygen
- Macroinvertebrate identification
- River width
- Stream assessments
- Specific conductance
- Water sample collection for lab testing
- Water temperature
- Wetland plant identification
For inquiries about lab instrumentation or capabilities, contact our Lab Supervisor at email@example.com.